Skip to main content

2013-10-12 CtyNet Panel Chair

 


I'm not young, not sure what I'm a professional at, will never run for Congress, and I'm not North Korean. Nevertheless, I was the Chair of a panel discussion about North Korean refugees yesterday at the CITYNET Young Professionals Congress.

I introduced the Mulmangcho School and talked about my experience volunteering for North Korean refugees.

Some random thoughts:

* I forgot to introduce what Mulmangcho means! It was an oversight, I guess I talk about the school so often that I forget to mention that. I guess I need a checklist of things to say.

* One funny thing about forgetting: A distinguished speaker at the event who is a fluent Korean speaker asked me what Mulmangcho meant. He hesitated to ask me during the panel discussion because he didn't want to embarrass me, in case I didn't know. My response: "You should have asked me when I was on stage! If I didn't know what it meant then I would deserve to be embarrassed publicly."

* A few people at the event are promising to volunteer for the various things I am organizing. Of course, I don't believe until I actually SEE them volunteering. I even doubt myself until I actually arrive.

Special thanks to Barry Welsh for recommending me for this. I was in a hurry this morning so I didn't mention it then.



CYP-2013-Report_WebSize-Final.pdf (citynet-ap.org)






















Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452