Skip to main content

Christmas Party--Yonsei Severance Hospital (2014-12-17)

Two words that don't go together--"kids" and "cancer." Yesterday HOPE (Helping Others Prosper through English) hosted a Christmas party at Yonsei University's Severance Hospital in the Childrens' Cancer war. It was the second year in a row, first inspired October 2013 when my buddy Nick Adams visited South Korea. Jungah Ji joined us last year, as she did for the Christmas Party last year and then again this year! Some of you may recall that I decided to hold a Christmas Party at the hospital in late 2013. I wrote about it here (with photos).
http://caseylartigue.blogspot.com/2013/12/inspiration-from-lousy-visitor-korea.html


The man of the day: Edward M. Robinson. He is the one who really pulled it together. He is really busy, doesn't have much free time, but he found the way to get it done. I will add the names of the volunteers when I get the complete list.





Thanks to all of the volunteers who made yesterday's party at the kids' cancer ward at Yonsei's Severance Hospital.























































But there were two scene stealers. Volunteer Nevada Rhodes and one of the children. Scroll down below to view the photos.
In one corner: The young boy was the first to arrive. He was running around, entertaining himself. His mother was loving every minute of it. The kid was so active, I had the feeling that no one has told him or he doesn't understand what it means that he has cancer.

Then he began to engage our volunteers as they arrived. he was challenging me at one point in a balloon contest.


In the other corner: Nevada Rhodes. A big, tall American who has been living in South Korea since c. 1996. He speaks fluent Korean, is constantly kidding around, and bringing energy to the room.


Then, the two encountered each other when Nevada was blowing up balloons. Of course, they then began a long balloon battle. Finally, the young boy fought through Nevada's defenses, landing a fatal stab.


Of course, Nevada didn't go easily. He then had the longest death scene in history, much to the delight of the boy, his mother, and everyone else in the room who had the misfortune to witness it.




They continued bonding, but the boy also battled with another young cancer patient, with Jungah Ji, all the while laughing and running around.

His mother loved it, she couldn't stop taking photos. It is a reminder how short life is, and I guess that having a son with cancer she doesn't need to be reminded, she is enjoying every moment with her son. He may be rambunctious, but considering the context, it was a truly beautiful thing.



The staff warned us when we visited from room to room that we should be careful, no joking around. Thankfully, Nevada didn't listen. He was light-hearted, unable to stop being himself. And the kids and their parents clearly enjoyed it.




Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452