Skip to main content

2015-04-28 TNKR: Tears and laughs with British Association

 


The Teach North Korean Refugees project presented this morning to the British Association of Seoul (BASS). The event was absolutely lovely, the audience was engaged and respectful, and yet they weren't not afraid to laugh along with the speakers.


First, from two of the emails I received shortly after the event:


Attendee A: "It was quite a moving morning hearing such heart-rendering stories."


Attendee B: "Thank you for organizing and bringing together the North Korean presenters today. Each of their testimonies was moving and an eye-opener I think for all of us."


I kicked off the event by talking about the volunteer project we were trying to develop into an official organization.





Sharon was speaking publicly for the first time. She's a newcomer to South Korea, a newcomer to our project, and a newcomer to English. We politely encouraged her to speak in Korean, but she was determined to try it in English. She did, and had the audience in tears, even before she began crying. Then, she began crying.




It was a rare case of having more male than female speakers. Yeongnam recently joined us as a speaker. As he listened to Sharon speak, he also started crying. Then did so again when he was speaking. He clearly had been affected by what she had said. 



Sungju Lee, the winner of TNKR's first English speech contest, was the third and final speaker.




Within the last six weeks, I have seen American businesses, lawyers, soldiers and now British soccer moms cry as they listened to the first-hand stories of North Korean refugees. None of them are overly dramatic, news reporters and NK study experts looking for "man bites dog" angles would be bored. But every day people can relate to these stories about people who have escaped from hell to freedom and are now enjoying every breath.



Several of the audience members told me the same thing: The morning reminded them how lucky they were to have been born into freedom with first-world problems. Yes, but reminded them that such talk is great, but I hope they will back it up with action to help others who were not so lucky.



And I really must thank the coaches in the project. One speaker at a basic level made it through her speech. Each of her four coaches took time to push her in advance. Another speaker was markedly improved from his first speech, so much more confident. And the third speaker, wow. When I grow up, I hope to be able to give speeches the way he does!


We had international media at the event, so you may be seeing some footage from the event within a few weeks.


Special thanks to coaches Clare JH Yun, Peter Daley, Inja Jeon, Yohan, Dsp Poet, Karissa Bryant, Fiona Fong, Paul Jennings, Amélie Lacroix. And of course the TNKR executive team, Casey Lartigue, Lee Eunkoo, Suzanne Stewart, and Cherie Yang.


On the BASS home page

https://www.facebook.com/British.Association.of.Seoul/posts/10152960387803772


Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452