Skip to main content

2019-10-11 American graduate students visit TNKR

The Teach North Korean Refugees Global Education Center (TNKR) had its second small group discussion this week, this time with a group visiting from the USA. Two TNKR speakers who have been with us since 2015 gave great speeches, then engaged with the audience in Q&A.

I started off the session by asking audience members if they had any questions. And they had PLENTY! I entertained them until our featured speakers arrived. It turned out that they had done some research on us in advance and had some specific questions about me and TNKR.

These sessions are great even for our accomplished speakers. As it has been said, "The threat of execution sharpens the mind." Knowing they will be speaking in front of a live audience with questions keeps the speakers on their toes. After a point, they would have heard almost every question that could possibly be asked about North Korea and North Korean refugees. They can then continue developing their responses.

Having more than one speaker at an event also has great advantages. A key one is that audiences can hear more than one perspective. So many people, after hearing one North Korean refugee, seem to consider that person to be the one and only source about North Korea. I will never forget the South Korean friend who kept telling me about North Korea and North Korean refugees, based on a former co-worker who was from North Korea. When I told her that I had heard a variety of opinions from North Korean refugees, she was undeterred, she had already heard everything she needed to hear, from that one North Korean refugee she had worked with.

After Cherie and Ken spoke, we then had a lively Q&A. Cherie and Ken have been in TNKR since 2015, joining us about six weeks apart, and they have never left us. They know each other's stories, so they will even explain about each other. In my case, I can challenge and push both a bit to further develop their public speaking.

After that, it was photo time! We had more than 20 people squeezed into our small office--21 students, 2 tour guides.

During the discussion I challenged the grad students to take us on as a project--and they agreed!
Support FSI: www.patreon.com/fsi21











Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452