Skip to main content

2015-09-21 In-house tutoring (and counseling)

 



"Thank you everybody for giving me the opportunity to prepare for my dream. Today's first class is really good and helpful for me."

That's the message (TNKR) Teach North Korean Refugees received this morning from a North Korean refugee who just joined our in-house tutoring program. It is really timely for her because she is applying for a scholarship. And she was helped this morning by a tutor who has been going through applications herself, so she was able to offer plenty of guidance.

I wish I could express how wonderful the session was.

* The tutor is South Korean, bilingual, but she avoids using Korean except when it is absolutely necessary. She will mention a keyword or explain briefly in Korean, then slip back to English so quickly that you barely have time to turn your head.

* She was meeting the refugee for the first time, but quickly grasped the situation, and focused on the scholarship opportunity and getting her ready for it. 

* The volunteer doesn't just accept what the refugee learner said--she pushes her to the next level, and telling her directly but gently that her application isn't strong enough. But she focused on how they could make it stronger, like they are a team. She applauds the learners when they get things right but also corrects them when they get things wrong.

* She comes from Bundang, arrives early, tutors as a volunteer from 10 am- 1 pm on Mondays and Tuesdays.

* And I know people are quick to blame South Koreans for not getting involved with North Korean issues, but it seems with our project that we always have South Koreans who get involved. As I have said before, instead of blaming, it is important to offer things that attract, rather than brow-beating.



2021 reflections:
* We weren't even an official organization then. We were operating out of my desk at the now-defunct Freedom Factory office and renting a room out of the Bitcoin Center as a special center for North Korean refugees to study..

* I was amazed that both refugees and volunteers were traveling such a long distance to participate in our very humble association (not an organization then). We would remind refugees that there were other larger organizations offering English classes, even that they could study online. They would say that our approach was special and made them feel special.

* We tried to let the tutoring project die, but 1) we still have refugees looking us up 2) some of the refugees who have been with us refuse to allow us to let it die, constantly reminding us how much it benefitted them.

* Many volunteers who come to us are dismayed to learn that we don't have a set curriculum. So which textbook should this refugee getting prepared for a scholarship use for her class? One thing that refugees say they love our about our humble project is that they can direct the classes. I would tell the professional educators that they would be better off finding a program with a textbook, which seems to be about 99% of them. Why interrupt what we are building by trying to impose the same standards as everywhere else?

* Based on the demand, we have decided to resume the tutoring project, but this time around, we will do so after we raise funding. https://give.lovetnkr.com/ko/Tutor-NK-refugees In the past, we would do the programming, then try to raise money later. That approach put a lot of pressure on us, so this time we will try the opposite. Raise the money, then do the programming. 

Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452