Skip to main content

2017-02-21 Leaving the TNKR cave to meet the Mayor of Mapo-gu

 

With the mayor of mapo-gu (standing on my right)

A great thing about having an office? You have a place to invite guests to meet you.

A bad thing about having an office? I don't want to go out to meet other people.

www.lovetnkr.org/donate

During a particularly unstable time in TNKR's history, I was shuttling between the Freedom Factory office near the National Assembly and the temporary TNKR office near Itaewon Station. Some days, I would start the day at Freedom Factory, head over to Itaewon, then go back to Freedom Factory.

Now we have our own office. There are some days that I don't leave the office and have even slept at the office so I could get to work when I wake up. When I go out, it feels like I have been in a cave, but caveman style like that feeling of playing my favorite video games for weeks. It is more difficult to get me out for meetings these days.

But today, I did go out for a meeting.

Today we met the Mayor of Mapo-gu, he wanted to hear about TNKR. Apparently someone at the mayor's office got into trouble because the mayor found out that there is an incredible organization in his district that is being run by volunteers helping North Korean refugees. A staffer rushed to collect news clips about TNKR. They clearly had done their research about us.

We moved into the area July 2016, so it only took them seven months to find us.

Apparently the mayor was like, "What? This is happening in my backyard, and no one told me about it? What the hey?"

Well, those probably weren't the mayor's exact words, but anyway, he now knows TNKR.

After the meeting with the mayor, we talked in more detail with one of the staff members. I don't expect that anything will ever come out of the meeting.



www.lovetnkr.org/donate

Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452