Skip to main content

2014-05-31 Michael Kirby also likes taking photos

Huh? There was a lecture? I was too busy taking photos. But yes, I did hear from others that Michael Kirby was giving a speech about the UN-COI report as I was taking photos...
* Based on my notes, I wasn't taking notes. What I did hear of the lecture...wow! I tend to dismiss reports, but he had me believing that this report was actually worth it and has me suspecting that there is deeper strategy than just releasing a report.
* My reputation precedes me...people were waiting for me to take photos. Some people ask if I take photos for Facebook. I joined Facebook in August 2012, but my picture taking started about 2009. I still remember an art exhibition party I went to three years ago. I met and talked with almost everyone at the party, took photos with almost everyone, then after being there about two hours, I said to a friend, "I guess I should look at some of the artwork?" Which I did, for about 4 minutes, then resumed taking photos and meeting people...
That was three years before I joined Facebook...
* One shocking thing--Michael Kirby recognized me. As in, he said my name without me introducing myself to him.
* Something hilarious: During Q&A, Kirby took out his camera, and took a photo of one of the questioners, and I took one of the audience too.Hilarious! I occasionally do that, too!
* And at the end, they announced that Kirby was going to hang around for selfies with people. When I used to give lectures, I would add "photo time" at the end of events, but so many wiseguys were cracking their stupid wiseguy jokes about it that I dropped it. Kirby reminded me that wiseguys making jokes need to be ignored.


























Popular posts from this blog

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review t...