Skip to main content

Job titles, birthday party

My colleagues are debating what title to give me. I've been wearing out the Korean-Language dictionary on my cell to find all kinds of wonderful, lofty titles.

One suggestion from someone with the power to make it happen: 연구소 소장. That is probably pronounced youn gu so so jang (meaning: Head of the Research Institute).

My pay won't change as a result of the title so I won't worry about it.

Also, I'm sure by the time everyone has given an opinion that I'll be downgraded to a lower position anyway once it is time to make the business cards...

* * *

The assistant director's birthday is today. We'll probably all go out to eat, drink, and then sing.

I was starting to get disappointed in Korea. I've been here for more than a week now and I've only gone out to sing once. That's even though I've already met with several groups of people.

I had assumed that I would spend so much in the karaoke places that I should buy karaoke stocks.

I won't be posting any video of myself singing, by the way, thanks for asking in advance, and will delete any such links that are posted here...

The Korean (and Japanese) style of Karaoke is a little different from America. Instead of singing on stage or in a bar surrounded by a bunch of drunken strangers, you sing in a small room with your drunken friends. The Korean word is 노래방 (noraebang).

* * *

By the way, I learned a long time ago not to take out Korean friends on my birthday. I fell for the trick years ago. In Korea, it is customary for the person who is celebrating a birthday to treat friends. That's right...your birthday, you pay. I learned the fact when I was out with friends many moons ago...

I wasn't particularly happy about it at the time when the bill came and they tried to convince me that I really had to pay it. I could understand their glee during the night as they ordered drinks, knowing they wouldn't have to pay. Some of them were trusted friends so I believed them...

Some later tried to slip me some cash but I refused, keeping my pride and not having any other money to spend for a few weeks...

CJL

Popular posts from this blog

2020-03-23 Hidden distractions of free tutoring

On March 19th, I wrote about TNKR's first 10 days after relocating the office to Sangsu station . We have remained busy, with numerous meetings and activities. Most notably was a meeting at which volunteers met with TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee to help her fancy up her bio . We had more meetings with North Korean refugees eager to join TNKR. We met again with the film maker helping us prepare a video to send to North Korea. We also had Skype calls with a group hoping to raise money for TNKR. ********************************* ORIENTATION WITH NK REFUGEES ********************************* On Saturday, we had a lovely orientation session with six North Korean refugees. They said some things that really encouraged us. * Hidden distractions of free tutoring. TNKR has been trying to develop a culture eliminating distractions--socializing, dating, gifts, hanging out, hidden costs for study sessions, talking about North Korea, interviewing refugees and having them tell their

Mentoring while Black (Korea Times 2/16/2023)

  Mentoring while Black by Casey Lartigue Jr. February 16, 2023 www.patreon.com/caseylartigue

From nothing to something super special (2023-02-10)

FSI has moved into a better institutional neighborhood where we are the poorest in the area. In August 2022, I was elected as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Freedom Speakers International (FSI) and in January 2023 FSI achieved incorporation status in South Korea. This has meant that FSI must upgrade operations and structure and I am the one, as chairman and co-president, who will be blamed if it doesn’t happen. I really should not be the chairman, for a variety of reasons, but anyway I am. Eunkoo and I are not the typical executives of a growing organization. In addition to being mainly responsible for building and fundraising for the organization, we are the hands-on leaders who are constantly in contact with North Korean refugee speakers. We look forward to the day we can afford staff to handle many tasks. Until then we can expect to continue having more days like yesterday, even on Eunkoo’s birthday. 2023-02-10 Meeting #1: planning We started Eunkoo’s birthday with a planning

Politician commentators

It is often mockingly said that the people who know how to run the country are driving cabs and cutting hair. I have identified a new problem...the people who are running the country are pontificating like they are cab drivers and barbers. WTOP Radio hosts "Ask the Governor" every Tuesday. This past Tuesday, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine was philosophizing about Michael Vick, the former NFL player now in the slamma for killing dogs. Kaine: "I don't think somebody convicted of charges like this should be back in the NFL." What, Vick should be driving a cab or cutting hair? * * * Perhaps Gov. Kaine would like to assign Michael Vick to a job. After all, if Vick should be barred from playing in the NFL, then would what Kaine have him do? Let's fill-in Kaine's statement with some other occupations: "I don't think somebody convicted of charges like this should... "work as a waiter." "be a construction worker." "work as a tax account

2018-01-16 Celebrating her birthday with us

  I already knew about her even before she escaped to South Korea! But would she ever make it to South Korea? Yes, she did, after being missing for seven years!  Eunmi joined Freedom Speakers International (formerly Teach North Korean Refugees) three weeks after she was released from Hanawon in 2014. There are so many things I could say about her. There are so many special moments and memories with her over the years. One of the most special ones was when she came to our office in 2018 to celebrate her birthday. How many students return to a school or organization to celebrate like this? Her English is great now! Back in 2014, she was at the A-B-C level of English. Now we can talk and hold conversations in English. And she teases me in English. When she is fluent, I am sure will start bullying me! Of course, I look forward to that, and will love the beatings. * * * Two of my favorite photos with her. 1) The one at the top of this post. She stood on her tippy-toes to make herself look