3/28/13

Exporting South Korea's economic policy to Taiwan


So there's a debate in Taiwan about whether or not Samsung threatened to "kill" Taiwan by taking over some industries there.
Here's another reason I will never have a leadership position in Taiwan. Instead of debating about whether or not Samsung had such a plan, I would visit South Korea on a fact-finding mission. I would then announce that I was going to apply South Korea's various restrictions on business on Samsung:

* Force Korean businesses operating in Taiwan to shut down their businesses at least twice a month.

* Restrict large Korean companies from expanding into other industries.

* Prevent Korean companies in Taiwan from open in randomly designated areas (such as, within 500 feet of mom and pop stores)

*  Force large Korean companies in Taiwan to share their profits with smaller companies.

* Demand that they increase their CSR giving.

* Even monitor and control such things as the temperature in their buildings.

* Threaten to tax them more to pay for numerous social programs.

Well, actually, I wouldn't do such stupid things, proof that I am not a politician in South Korea.

To paraphrase Mark Twain:
Suppose you were an idiot.
Suppose you were a politician in Korea.
But I repeat myself.
Of course, that isn't true. I'm just talking about the ones intervening in the economy.

My local Lotte Mysuper. Forced to close because of the government's (national, local, regional) idiotic "economic democratization" campaign.

One night, I stopped by to go shopping, then, oh, Snap! The door was locked. Thanks, Korean government!

The Korean government's effort to slow economic growth.

I asked an employee if I could have the sign the day after. I'm sure if she knew how much I am opposed to the policy that she would have given it to me.
 
I guess she didn't get the memo that the store was closed, per the government's orders.
Definitely, she didn't get the memo. She walked even closer to the sign, then stomped her foot. I wonder if she voted for the politicians who supported the policy.
If I were CEO of E-mart, the banner would have a photo of the politician responsible for the closure, thanking him for his vision for helping the economy.