Skip to main content

2013-09-28 The Day TNKR was saved




March 2013, TNKR was born.

September 2013, I was ready to bury it.

Many organizations like to mark the date they started, their growth and achievements, their success stories. What many don't discuss is the times they almost died as an organization.

Six months after starting, the informal matching of volunteers with North Korean refugees almost died.

* The students weren't contacting us.
* The tutors were avoiding us.
* We were hearing rumors about possible socializing and dating.
* It seemed to be sliding into the worst form of "volunteerism," in which some volunteers were more concerned about their own experiences rather than the people they were supposedly helping. Without a change, the project's reputation would be ruined and it wouldn't be worth continuing.
* The two organizers were battling about everything and couldn't agree about the basic approach.
* My co-founder was working at a different job and could only focus on this on weekends and evenings.
* Was it really possible to start this as an organization that was refugee-focused when it seemed that the North Korean refugee learners, volunteer tutors and even Korean co-founder didn't believe in it?
* I was getting distracted by other opportunities--A) I was about to be hired by a new think tank in Seoul. B) I had already received a nice job offer to return to the USA C) A business opportunity seemed to be developing, but I would have to put a lot of time into it.

That's right, in September 2013, it looked like this little volunteer project might remain a hobby.

***

Then when some of the refugees who had been in our first session learned my birthday was on September 5, they wanted to treat me to lunch.

We met three weeks later.

I asked why they hadn't contacted us and what was wrong with what we were establishing.

They said they didn't contact us because they didn't want to bother us, they knew we were doing this as volunteers. And they insisted that they loved studying with the teachers. Some admitted that in some cases things had gotten too social, and they realized it was a mistake and they thought we should place restrictions on interactions.

***

After that, instead of killing the matching sessions, we set up four in two months.

The first group of students in TNKR had been teachers when they lived in North Korea. They were struggling because they couldn't become teachers in South Korea. My shock then was that one of the refugees had been an English teacher in North Korea. She was embarrassed to admit it because her listening comprehension is so low.

****

BELOW are some of the challenges I reflected on in mid-2013 when we were taking a break.

1) Busy schedules

So I will suggest that tutors and refugees meet just twice a month. Based on feedback from tutors, they feel burdened with being required to meet once a week. We had started by having matching refugees with tutors, but I quickly saw too many problems with that, mainly it put refugees in passive mode from the start. Instead, it was better when we let the refugees choose.

2) Lose interest

The idea of studying English is different from actually doing so. I suspect some of the refugees got discouraged when they didn't improve immediately after being matched with tutors.
And it seems that some of the tutors who may have been curious didn't remain engaged after getting over their curiosity. And it also seemed to be disappointing when they actually had to teach, rather than chit-chat, with refugees because the refugees weren't ready for higher-level conversations.

3) Language difficulties

We need to be able to learn more about the student's needs, but right now, it is only two people running this little project. People keep calling it a program, but it would be like considering an outhouse to be a mansion.

4) Cultural differences

Although I suggested it many times, the NK refugees seem to feel guilty about having more than one teacher. When we allowed them to choose they seemed to enjoy it, but somehow they still seemed to feel guilty. We need to find a way to make these matching sessions more open so the students won't feel embarrassed to have more than one tutor.

5) Money

It is bizarre that people keep asking us about our funding. I want to shout: "WHAT FUNDING?" Eunkoo and I were spending out of pocket. It seems that some organizations that are already established see us as competitors. But how can an afterschool program compete with an actual school or organization? The students can come to us for help based on their needs, not on what we think they should study.

* * *

After hearing from the refugees in September, we decided to resume matching sessions.





2013 March, when we got feedback from North Korean refugees about starting a new English language study project.


September 2013, lunch, when TNKR was saved from me destroying.




She is hilarious. She insisted that she wanted a photo, but I had to hug her.

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

Breen's column that outraged Samsung

“What People Got for Christmas” Michael Breen The Korea Times December 25, 2009 At this time of year when Seoul’s bare winter trees are wrapped in beckoning lights ― blue and white are the in colors ― and Merry Xmas signs at hotels and department stores are really saying come-hither-gentle-reveler-and-empty-your-purse, and when expensive restaurants belch noisy year-end office party groups onto every street and the karaoke rooms are full, it is tempting to declare that Christmas has lost its soul. But that would be a mistake. Christmas is a time for giving, and, before they can be given, gifts have to be bought. Commerce is good. Here, as proof, is a round up of some of the gifts given and received today by people in the news. Samsung, the world’s largest conglomerate and the rock upon which the Korean economy rests, sent traditional year-end cards offering best wishes for 2010 to the country’s politicians, prosecutors and journalists, along with 50 million w

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi