Skip to main content

2014/01/07-09 Asia Liberty Forum (rapping, speaking in India)

 

I was honored to be a featured speaker at the second-annual Asia Liberty Forum (ALF), hosted by the Asia Center for Enterprise from Jan. 7-9 in New Delhi, India.

As much as I enjoyed speaking and, as part of the entertainment, rapping to my revised version of Salt N Pepa's 1990s song "Whattaman," that couldn't compare to the thrill I had being able to introduce and moderate the closing address that was given by North Korean refugee Ju Chan-yang. I wrote about it in the Korea Times and she had an incredible audio article about me.

This event was a turning point for TNKR. After I returned from the trip, I told FSI co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we could do more with the little project, maybe even one day turn it into a real organization. 

Join FSI's Patreon World: FSI, Casey Lartigue, Greenlight to Freedom


SPEECH

In July or August 2013, I was invited to give a speech at the Asia Liberty Forum. At that point, the fledgling little association matching North Korean refugees with volunteer tutors that Eunkoo Lee and I had started in March 2013 had been put on hold. We had started it, but I detected that people were dating, hanging out, and not really taking it seriously. I wasn't going to waste my time with a study association being used as a dating club. I turned my attention to other things.

Four things happened from the time I got the invitation in the summer of 2013 to speak in India to the moment I got on stage in January 2014.

One, the organizers of ALF asked me about other things going on in South Korea. I told them that in addition to talking about South Korean things, I could also talk about a little project I had started connecting North Korean refugees with volunteer tutors. I wasn't sure whether the project would survive, but thinking about giving a presentation gave me a chance to think about how I would handle things differently if Eunkoo and I did restart it.

Two, some of the North Korean refugee students took me out to dinner for my birthday, they wanted to ask Eunkoo and me if we could restart the tutoring project. They could see that I was right when I said that socializing would kill studying. It had to be studying or socializing. They wanted to try again, and would focus on studying rather than socializing.

Three, a North Korean refugee named Chanyang Ju made a cute little birthday card for me!

Eunkoo and I decided to restart the project. We were energized by the way the refugees responded. I told the organizers in India that one of the refugees might be able to give a speech and I could make sure she was prepared.

By the time Chanyang and I got on the plane for India, a lot had changed from the moment I had gotten the invitation. We held four language matching sessions, we began imposing our will on the project demanding that volunteers and students take it more seriously, and we began adding structure to it.

Four, I had been hired by Freedom Factory with support from the Atlas Network. Freedom Factory welcomed me bringing the Teach North Korean Refugees project. Thanks to the Atlas Network and Freedom, FSI was able to survive during its early days and grow on our own.







RAP

But it wasn't just giving a speech. To raise money for Students for Liberty, I rapped live during the conference.

That's right, the failed rapper had been invited to perform on stage!




(2021 update: I offered to rap live online to raise money for a North Korean refugee in need of dental care. The campaign was successful but my offer to rap live online expired before the funds came in.)

Moderator

It was a great conference. Giving a speech. Rapping live in front of an audience. Then I introduced Chanyang as she gave the closing speech.

For three months, volunteer Joo Yeon and I helped Chanyang get prepared for giving that speech. I had even organized a speech one night in Seoul for her to have a practice session before a live audience.

Then she was absolutely incredible.






Chanyang's speech

As Atlas Network fellow Tom Palmer said at the time, "There wasn't a dry eye in the audience" as Chanyang spoke. Most of the attendees were think tank scholars and policy wonks. Chanyang was talking about escaping from North Korea and making a new life in South Korea.









Meeting and Greeting!

We took so many photos at the conference. There are many more that others posted that I didn't download.

























































That was the beginning of our relationship with the Asia Liberty Forum.

2019, Colombo, Sri Lanka
Speaker: Scott (Sungchull) Kim

I was scheduled to attend in 2020 and was talking about having another North Korean refugee speak there, but then COVID-19 struck.

2022: Manila, Philippines
Speaker: Yuna Jung
Workshop participant: Eunkoo Lee

Join FSI’s Patreon world

FSI, Casey Lartigue, Greenlight to Freedom

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

2019-06-29 Another Special Saturday

"When are you going to wrap this up?" That's what a whippersnapper asked me near the end of Q&A yesterday, after I had given a speech to North Korean refugee adolescents and their mentors. Thanks to Prof. Shin Hye-young for arranging the session. I'm a man with a lot of self-esteem, but it was tested on Saturday by those kids (more photos below) www.lovetnkr.org/donate

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

"Yoegi Anjuseyo!"

* I have a short reflection in today's Korea Times about an encounter with an unfriendly looking Korean man on the subway. It was a reminder not to be too quick in judging people in Korea. 09-13-2011 16:47 'Yeogi Anjeuseyo!' By Casey Lartigue Jr. The recent incident in which an American English teacher bullied an elderly Korean man and other passengers on the bus reminded me of a more pleasing incident from years ago. I was on the subway, taking the train outside of Seoul for a work assignment. I have the habit of standing on the subway to strategically position myself near the doors in case my stop magically appears. On that particular day, there was a Korean man STARING at me. Not just looking at me, but intensely staring at me. He had an incredible frown on his face. Not just for one stop, but for several stops the guy just kept staring at me. If I had known more Korean then I would have been able to curse him

Get rid of that watermelon!

Part 1: When I was a youngster I used to collect Confederate money, posters and photographs with caricatures of blacks, and "No blacks allowed signs." I loved the money because it was a reminder of how far the sorry Confederacy had fallen. I had one poster of a dark-skinned black boy munching on a watermelon. I would look at that small poster and wonder, "What in the world is wrong with anyone wanting to eat watermelon?" Yes, white people, I'm talking to you. Your parents, grandparents, and other ancestors who thought making fun of blacks for eating watermelon were crazy ! Even people who say that nothing has changed in race relations must acknowledge that the many stereotypes of blacks are no longer prevalent. But then, there are also some ready to remind us of days-gone-by by debunking stuff that doesn't need to be debunked today. According to the Washington Post: The sound you just heard was yet another racial stereotype going kersplat ! Some