Skip to main content

2016-11-07 The Transformation of Eunkoo Lee!

I often like to ask people what they like to do in their free time. Many Korean students and office workers answer: "Sleeping."

In the case of TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee, she enjoyed sleeping on weekends, and watching baseball during the season.

All of that changed because of (TNKR) Teach North Korean Refugees. She now rarely has time to sleep all weekend, because we have TNKR events almost every weekend.

Early in TNKR's history, I fired Eunkoo for one day. I realized that our model would be very difficult to attract sustained financial support, we were trying to do something different without having a financial sponsor. How long and deep was her commitment to this? What if we never raise money? What if we can't ever count on others to help us long-term?

Yes, I later admitted to her, I had to test how much she really wanted to be part of this.

She had always been an office worker, had never started anything from scratch, and never had never been in a leadership position. There were a few times that she was ready give up.

When we talked about making this project more formal, she said that she could be the assistant director, I could be the main director. I disagreed, the program would not be strong if she faded into the background. She had to assert her authority, take leadership, and be an equal partner. She still hesitated--so I began dominating her, treating her like my personal assistant. Then I fired her.

She was outraged, insisting that I couldn't fire her. After that, she began asserting her authority. At last, she began to take a leadership role. In the past, she would disagree with me, like an assistant disagreeing with the boss. Now she disagrees, as a co-director.

* * *

Now she is in Mexico, at an international volunteer event. What is she coming back to?

* Saturday, Nov 12: TNKR orientation
* Sunday, Nov 13: How to Help North Koreans
* Saturday Nov 19: TNKR matching
* Sunday Nov 20: TBD
* Saturday, Dec 4, Bring My Father Home speech
* Saturday Dec 10, Bring My Father Home events
* Saturday Dec 11, Bring My Father Home events








Plus, we need to figure out when to have a Matching session in December. Eunkoo's weekend have been taken over by TNKR, so much so that her parents are worried about her future (as you may have seen, if you watched the tvN special!).

Before she helped start TNKR, Eunkoo rarely if ever volunteered, and certainly nothing in a sustained way. Now, she volunteers for TNKR during weekday evenings and weekends, rushing to TNKR for meetings from 7 pm after working at her main job from 9 am to 6 pm. We have even had some meetings where I have met with people near her office during her work hour.

The day may come that TNKR becomes sustainable so we can work together, rather than meeting around her work, leisure and baseball hours. Until then, TNKR will continue destroying her weekends.

* * *

Eunkoo writes from Mexico:

"I attended 8th Youth Volunteering conference in Mexico! I took Youth Korean deligation by the organisation that i am working as a job to the conference! I wanted to learn more volunteering..but also at the same time I should take care of young people!!^^

"Because of TNKR...my life changed a lot!!:) -Volunteering! Thank you TNKR! -especially Casey Lartigue Jr. !"

* * *

She said "thank you," but I know that sometimes she blames me for destroying her
weekends and blocking her from watching basetball.

She often talks about the impact that the many TNKR volunteers have had on her. Volunteering is now a natural part of her life, it seems that she has been doing it all along.

* * *

I used to tell Eunkoo, "I can do TNKR without you." She was outraged the first few times, until she realized I was whispering, "But it would be a disaster."

* * *

* TNKR events
http://lovetnkr.org/events/
* Support TNKR
http://www.lovetnkr.org/donate * TNKR media
http://teachnorthkoreanrefugees.org/about/tnkr-media/

Update: I later wrote this for the Korea Times, and for some reason, some of the local idiot expats accused me of attacking her, even though 1) she loved it 2) I showed it to her in advance as I do when I write about people.

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

Breen's column that outraged Samsung

“What People Got for Christmas” Michael Breen The Korea Times December 25, 2009 At this time of year when Seoul’s bare winter trees are wrapped in beckoning lights ― blue and white are the in colors ― and Merry Xmas signs at hotels and department stores are really saying come-hither-gentle-reveler-and-empty-your-purse, and when expensive restaurants belch noisy year-end office party groups onto every street and the karaoke rooms are full, it is tempting to declare that Christmas has lost its soul. But that would be a mistake. Christmas is a time for giving, and, before they can be given, gifts have to be bought. Commerce is good. Here, as proof, is a round up of some of the gifts given and received today by people in the news. Samsung, the world’s largest conglomerate and the rock upon which the Korean economy rests, sent traditional year-end cards offering best wishes for 2010 to the country’s politicians, prosecutors and journalists, along with 50 million w

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi