Skip to main content

2017-02-22 Waking up the dead (Pyongtaek conference)

 


I was delighted to be one of the speakers at a conference hosted by the Pyungtaek Social Welfare Foundation.

The theme: "Multiculture and Global Social Welfare Forum."

The reality: Can you endure? 

I asked one of the attendees what was memorable about the conference. Without hesitating, he responded: "You woke up the room. Before you spoke, people were chit-chatting, not paying paying attention. You commanded everyone to listen."

Well, I was in and out of the room networking, chatting, taking photos, so I don't know what the other speakers were saying.


I may not be the greatest speaker in the world, but I almost always accept invitations to speak at academic conferences in South Korea. I often feel like I have been invited to play basketball in a league with no one over 5 feet tall or over the age of 8.
I remember the first time I spoke at an academic conference in South Korea, hosted by a German foundation. The audience was so quiet as the other speakers droned on that I was wondering if some of the attendees had passed away as they listened. Really, no one was moving. I jazzed up my PPT, I informed the host that I was going to introduce myself, so I needed an extra five minutes. I woke up the entire room. A year later, some of the attendees at that German foundation's conference told me that my presentation had woken up the room, that I should become a speech coach for speakers at academic conferences in Korea.

Thanks to Brian Qu for the photos.

One of the conference organizers told me, "Talk about your need for funding. I read about TNKR, you and Eunkoo are heroes."


With the president of Pyeongtaek University.

Thanks to Karin Hanna for the graphics.

Thanks to Sodam Jeong for the gift that I can never forget. Yes, I included that in my PPT.


He works in CSR, he said he would visit TNKR soon to find out if we qualified for financial support.


I'm usually the star at events, but Eunkoo had some fans asking her to take photos with them.

It is so nice to take a group photo without people grumbling about having to be in it. Again, I am the only one NOT doing the fist shake at the camera.

Thanks for the nice tea set. It is always nice receiving gifts or money after giving a speech.

I think this was the entire delegation visiting from Mongolia. Based on their responses and kind words, I should move there. 

The moderator had a great sense of humor, so we woke up the audience together.


The four main speakers,

Ladies from Mongolia wanted a photo with me. How could I say no?


www.lovetnkr.org/donate

2021 update: 

The best outcome is that a South Korean lady later followed up. She was praising me so much that day, and she apparently meant it! Four years later, Inae is still with us as a monthly donor and cheerleader. She didn't introduce herself that day, but thankfully she did follow up later.

The worst outcome from the conference was a Korean-American man who followed up later, tried to get involved with us, but I am sure that he concluded that I am the worst possible leader of an organization. Well, I can't prove that, but I guess in most cases when I conclude that someone else is useless that the person has also concluded bad things about me! That's because when he stopped showing up, I had already concluded he was the worst possible fit for our organization. He didn't like anything about our approach, wanted to tell me how I should be doing things differently, insisted that we were taking the wrong approach about everything.

Another bad but good outcome: A member of the Samsung CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) team introduced himself to me later. He praised us for our work, then asked about our organization status. I explained, then Eunkoo translated to make sure he understood. When he heard that we weren't at the top level status, he politely walked off. He knew he would be wasting his time, Samsung and other large companies don't bother with donating to organizations that aren't at the highest-level. I'm not blaming them, the mafia deals with the mafia, the rich deal with the rich, the educated deal with the educated, etc., and big companies in Korea give to established organizations that have jumped through all of the government's hoops. At that point, we had become an official organization recognized by the Seoul City government, rising above the association and group levels. But at that point, donors couldn't receive tax-deductible donations when giving to us (that changed at the end of 2017 or 2018), but we still haven't reached the promised land of corporations being able to receive tax-deductible donations in Korea. (I say that at risk of knowing that some people run 100 mph without clearly understanding the distinctions.) 

Individuals can make tax-deductible donations in the USA and South Korea here via our various donation options: www.lovetnkr.org/donate

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi

2020-05-21 Goodbye, Katty Chi

I had heard through the grapevine and now it has been verified: Human rights activist Katty Chi has passed away. She is one of the first people that I met when I got involved in this cause. The first time was in 2012, at an event at the South Korea's National Assembly. She was super cool, one of my favorites as I used to say even when she was alive. And that is the important time to say such things, when people are alive. Whenever we met, I would say to her, "You know what happens when you meet me?" She would say, "Yeah. Time to take a photo?" I'm glad we did. And from Hyun S. Song, a close colleague of hers: And from Liberty in North Korea, the definitive announcement, August 4, 2020