Skip to main content

2019-09-18 TNKR forum with MBA students


TNKR had an absolutely fantastic forum with students visiting from the USA. These forums are great for several reasons:

* It gives refugees studying in TNKR practical opportunities to practice public speaking. Over the years, I have noticed that many North Korean refugees who gave public speakers weren't really prepared. When we decided to create our own public speaking program, we wanted to be sure that we weren't like a speaker's bureau with speakers who were expected to already have become polished speakers. It was going to be a work in progress. That meant, despite people asking for us to post speeches online or to even do Facebook Live, our focus was going to be on having the speakers develop at their own speed and that their speeches wouldn't be presented publicly until they were ready.

* Audiences get to hear directly from North Korean refugees. Watching a documentary or reading an article can move people, but meeting directly with NK refugees can have even more of an impact.

* One of the speakers yesterday mentioned that several audience members were crying as they listened to the speeches. Sometimes speakers will cry as they discuss emotional things, but it is even more likely that audience members will cry in a cozy setting like the TNKR office where they are close to the speakers.

***

I kicked off yesterday's event with a brief introduction of TNKR. I must always be aware that the audience isn't there to hear me, so I need to introduce TNKR to make sure audience members know about the great work we are doing and that the event wouldn't be possible without the TNKR staff and volunteers doing work behind-the-scenes.



***

Meet Refugees at their individual levels.

Cherie and Scott then gave talks. They both came to TNKR as very high-level English speakers and have now become fantastic speakers. I know that it is natural for organizations to take credit for everything a person has done, but I am quite delighted when even great speakers come to us.

For those refugees who speak English at a high level, they really don't need our program. They can just go into the street to meet people. It is easy for them to meet many people who want to help them. 

But as we have heard from many students in our program, they eventually learned that studying with friends was not possible long-term or intensely. They couldn't get into intense studying that was needed, friends mainly wanted to chit-chat and people of the opposite sex eventually would express interest in dating. The difference refugees noticed is that our program is focused on their individual needs, not helping at the friend level.


***

Then after the speeches came the main event: Q&A. This is where speakers like Cherie and Scott can really shine. Almost anyone who has studied can give a speech by just memorizing or reading a text. Cherie and Scott can both interact in the world of English, giving thoughtful, humorous, and interesting answers to questions.

Yesterday's audience had many good and pointed questions. The speakers noticed how engaged the audience was. It was their first time interacting with anyone from North Korea. The cozy setting of course made it more intimate than a huge audience. My role during that time is to provide additional context, data, anecdotes without taking over Q&A. I'm not a safety cop merely directing traffic, I have some things to say also.

Several people said they would like to volunteer although only one person has followed up so far.





Photo Time

Q&A is the main event, but photo time is a close second! No matter how emotional the speeches have been, there are mostly smiles after such an event!











Then afterward, we talked with Cherie and Scott a bit more. For some reason, Cherie and Eunkoo began attacking the bear when they thought it was somehow related to me.





Support FSI

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

2020-05-21 Goodbye, Katty Chi

I had heard through the grapevine and now it has been verified: Human rights activist Katty Chi has passed away. She is one of the first people that I met when I got involved in this cause. The first time was in 2012, at an event at the South Korea's National Assembly. She was super cool, one of my favorites as I used to say even when she was alive. And that is the important time to say such things, when people are alive. Whenever we met, I would say to her, "You know what happens when you meet me?" She would say, "Yeah. Time to take a photo?" I'm glad we did. And from Hyun S. Song, a close colleague of hers: And from Liberty in North Korea, the definitive announcement, August 4, 2020

Breen's column that outraged Samsung

“What People Got for Christmas” Michael Breen The Korea Times December 25, 2009 At this time of year when Seoul’s bare winter trees are wrapped in beckoning lights ― blue and white are the in colors ― and Merry Xmas signs at hotels and department stores are really saying come-hither-gentle-reveler-and-empty-your-purse, and when expensive restaurants belch noisy year-end office party groups onto every street and the karaoke rooms are full, it is tempting to declare that Christmas has lost its soul. But that would be a mistake. Christmas is a time for giving, and, before they can be given, gifts have to be bought. Commerce is good. Here, as proof, is a round up of some of the gifts given and received today by people in the news. Samsung, the world’s largest conglomerate and the rock upon which the Korean economy rests, sent traditional year-end cards offering best wishes for 2010 to the country’s politicians, prosecutors and journalists, along with 50 million w