Skip to main content

The little black man inside us all

I rode with my two of my Korean colleagues in two different taxis in Seoul today...

only had two close calls with other vehicles.

The driver in the second taxi was quite balanced. First, he almost collided with a car on his left as he merged into traffic. Then, he almost collided with a vehicle on his right that was merging into traffic. Was a truck headed straight for us next? He took it all in stride, not bothering to curse at either one of the other drivers.

I remember when I was a youngster hearing that mothers would advise their children to wear clean underwear and socks in case they were in an accident. As Bill Cosby pointed out, there is a possibility that such items would be found in the glove compartment after a tremendous accident.

* * *

Speaking of socks...

I visited two Korean businesses today along with my colleagues. The great thing about both companies? Employees were walking around in shorts, sandals. One was wearing a very fashionable cap, the type I would like to wear. I wanted to take a photo of him with the cap on but figured that my intentions would be lost in the translation...

At one place we didn't have to take our shoes off, but at the second place not only did we have to take our shoes off, but wear some nice sandals they had at the front door. The pain! Walking around in sandals at the office?

Thankfully, I didn't bring any socks with holes in them.

* * *

Was this lost in the translation?


I noticed this book when we were meeting with one of the publishers. The title: "The Little Black Man." The author is Fulvia Degl`Innocent.

I initially thought I had come across a racist book. The author is Italian. Based on the context, the "little black man" is the angry side in all of us. Couldn't come across a single black person in the entire book, but I guess those who track the various negative meanings of the use of the word "black" can make hay with it...

I'm just happy that my taxi driver didn't have a little black man inside him--he would have started driving like a maniac...

* * *

Eating Korean

Had lunch with my colleagues. Once again, I wasn't asked or expected to pay. Had lunch a few days ago with the president of a think tank. He waved me off when I offered to pay my half. Met a friend for lunch--she brought me a box of grapes. There are many great things about Korea. Definitely, the way my colleagues and friends treat me is one of them. I just hope it lasts.

The president of the organization I'm working with has been especially generous. She has bought me breakfast, lunch, and dinner on several occasions.

* * *

Speaking of hunger...

I see that the U.N. hopes there won't be hunger by 2025. I'm willing to bet all of the money I have against anyone from the U.N. that there will still be hunger in 2025.

I'm guessing that if I'm Seoul then that I'll probably be doing quite well.

CJL

Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

2020-05-21 Goodbye, Katty Chi

I had heard through the grapevine and now it has been verified: Human rights activist Katty Chi has passed away. She is one of the first people that I met when I got involved in this cause. The first time was in 2012, at an event at the South Korea's National Assembly. She was super cool, one of my favorites as I used to say even when she was alive. And that is the important time to say such things, when people are alive. Whenever we met, I would say to her, "You know what happens when you meet me?" She would say, "Yeah. Time to take a photo?" I'm glad we did. And from Hyun S. Song, a close colleague of hers: And from Liberty in North Korea, the definitive announcement, August 4, 2020

Breen's column that outraged Samsung

“What People Got for Christmas” Michael Breen The Korea Times December 25, 2009 At this time of year when Seoul’s bare winter trees are wrapped in beckoning lights ― blue and white are the in colors ― and Merry Xmas signs at hotels and department stores are really saying come-hither-gentle-reveler-and-empty-your-purse, and when expensive restaurants belch noisy year-end office party groups onto every street and the karaoke rooms are full, it is tempting to declare that Christmas has lost its soul. But that would be a mistake. Christmas is a time for giving, and, before they can be given, gifts have to be bought. Commerce is good. Here, as proof, is a round up of some of the gifts given and received today by people in the news. Samsung, the world’s largest conglomerate and the rock upon which the Korean economy rests, sent traditional year-end cards offering best wishes for 2010 to the country’s politicians, prosecutors and journalists, along with 50 million w