Skip to main content

An expatriate encountering myself (The Korea Times, 2015-01-14) by Casey Lartigue, Jr.


When people ask me if I have read a certain book that I indeed have read, I often hesitate to confirm. Reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" or a book about dating is a different experience at age 16 compared to 36 or 56.

I first read the late Paul Fussell's provocative collection of essays "Thank God for the Atom Bomb" as a graduate student. When I reread it a few years later, I noticed that I had completely skipped the chapter about traveling.

I am a "digital immigrant" who still prefers printed books, newspapers and articles so I can markup the text. I didn't mark a single thing in that travel chapter the first time around.

The second time around, years later, I wondered how I could have missed Fussell's profundity. In particular, I appreciated his point distinguishing among travelers, tourists and explorers. ("There's No Place Like Home," Feb 12, 2013).

What had changed? Me. I grew up in Texas and Massachusetts, but had not even crossed the U.S. borders nearby in either direction until after graduate school.

Experience is the greatest teacher, as Mark Twain has been attributed with demonstrating: "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

Living abroad, I learned how America-centric I had been. Paraphrasing Alexis De Tocqueville, the late Seymour Martin Lipset said: "The best way to know your own country is to experience another one."

When I first traveled to Korea on a short trip back in the 1990s, I met several Koreans one night when I went dancing. One young Korean man enjoyed hearing my stories about my first time abroad, in Taiwan. Taking me aside, he asked me, in all seriousness: "Can we play?"

Earlier I had just been talking about dominating the basketball courts in Taipei, so I responded, "Sorry, I didn't bring my tennis shoes on this trip."

He was confused, then explained: "I mean you. Me. Play. Special time together." It finally dawned on me that he was coming onto me. He had not traveled to America but had read in the Korean press about many Americans being gay (I wish I had thought to say it was true about Europeans). I gently declined his offer, informing him that I love women, but would bring my tennis shoes the next time I visited Korea.

For a long time, I was surprised, at myself. I had met gay people in the U.S., but based on what I knew then about Korea I didn't expect to encounter a gay person in a country where homosexuality seemed to be strongly discouraged. The beauty I saw: He was willing to be himself, despite Korean society trying to condition him.

Starting a professional career abroad working at a libertarian think tank in Seoul and speaking at international conferences, I encountered a different pleasant shock. Although I had encountered libertarians in America, there was still something different about meeting natives in Malaysia, China and India advocating individual liberty and respect for the rights of others.

I can see the same effect on colleagues of mine as they venture abroad. Last week, I spoke at the Asia Liberty Forum in Kathmandu, Nepal, and was joined by two Korean colleagues. Lee Eun-koo, a progressive, joined me last July to attend her first libertarian conference, the Shanghai Austrian Economics Summit. She said she was shocked as she watched Chinese people speaking out strongly in favor of personal and economic liberty. She was less shocked last week in Nepal.

Another South Korean colleague, Jeong So-dam, also joined me in Nepal last week for the Asia Liberty Forum. It was her second international conference. She's a rising star among Korean libertarians. She mentioned that it was "exotic" to hear the word "freedom" being uttered every 10 seconds in Nepal.

She has started to speak out on issues, setting off rabid netizen attacks in Korea. She's an optimistic lady, but I suppose it can still be encouraging to meet others from around the world also advocating for liberty in authoritarian cultures. Many of them are speaking English as a second or foreign language, pronouncing "freedom" and "liberty" with different accents, but they have found common ground in international settings.

American writer James Baldwin once said: "I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself." Living abroad, I have encountered myself, learning to look beyond the U.S. context, and encountered others as they are, where they are.

Unfortunately, during my travels, I lost that copy of the Paul Fussell book with the marked up chapter on travel, but I do read a replacement copy from time to time.

The writer is the Director for International Relations at Freedom Factory Co.in Seoul and the Asia Outreach Fellow with the Atlas Network in Washington, D.C. He can be reached at CJL@post.harvard.edu.


Korea Times, Korea News Gazette

Popular posts from this blog

Random photos from today

I went walking around today. Whereas some people like to go walking in the mountains, I enjoy walking around in the city. Well, not D.C. or other cities with many homeless, crazy and/or armed people walking around... * * * Here's where I had lunch today. About $1.90 for a hamburger hamberger.   * * * Ha-ha! Bet you never would have guessed that Batman is a drinking place in Korea! * * * Man Clinic? The Koreans walking by seemed to be very curious about why I was taking a photo of a "Man Clinic." They may know something I don't know...Actually, I wasn't curious enough to go in and find out what it was... * * * Right down the street from the Man Clinic...there's a Love Shop! I love the euphemism. "Love Shop" sounds much better than Sex Shop. I'm guessing that if you don't go to the "Love Shop" to buy condoms that you may need to visit the Man Clinic a short time later? * * * Nobo

Teach North Korean Refugees Project

  On November 1, we will be holding the 20th "Teach North Korean Refugees Project" session. The project launched in March 2013 when Casey Lartigue Jr. and Lee Eunkoo matched 5 North Korean refugees who were teachers in North Korea with 5 English speaking volunteers. The refugees wanted to improve their English in order to improve their chances to become teachers in South Korea. We met at a Toz in Gangnam, matching them. We have directly matched at least 117 NK refugees and 8 South Koreans who assist NK refugees with 164 English speaking volunteers. We have since hosted numerous sessions with a number of themes matching NK refugees with volunteer English speakers: * Staff at NGOs helping NK refugees (to help refugees working at NGOs and also helping NGOs build up their capacity) * special summer or winter study sessions (for students who have more free time during the break, look for another session in late December and early to mid January 2015) * Bring or recommend a

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h

From nothing to something super special (2023-02-10)

FSI has moved into a better institutional neighborhood where we are the poorest in the area. In August 2022, I was elected as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Freedom Speakers International (FSI) and in January 2023 FSI achieved incorporation status in South Korea. This has meant that FSI must upgrade operations and structure and I am the one, as chairman and co-president, who will be blamed if it doesn’t happen. I really should not be the chairman, for a variety of reasons, but anyway I am. Eunkoo and I are not the typical executives of a growing organization. In addition to being mainly responsible for building and fundraising for the organization, we are the hands-on leaders who are constantly in contact with North Korean refugee speakers. We look forward to the day we can afford staff to handle many tasks. Until then we can expect to continue having more days like yesterday, even on Eunkoo’s birthday. 2023-02-10 Meeting #1: planning We started Eunkoo’s birthday with a planning

CFE forum on Korea-EU FTA (Korea Herald)

Public forum on FTA on Thursday 2011-07-05 19:21 A conference on economic opportunities and challenges arising from the Korea-EU FTA which came into effect on July 1 will take place in Seoul on Thursday. The conference, taking place at the Koreana Hotel from 2 p.m., will also examine the current economic crisis in Europe and economic development in Korea. The event is being jointly hosted by the Center for Free Enterprise, a Seoul-based free market think-tank, and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Liberty, a German foundation for the promotion of individual freedom which has offices around the world including in Seoul. “We picked the date hoping National Assembly members wouldn’t find a way to delay the agreement going into effect. So this is really timely because we are holding this less than a week after the agreement went into effect,” said Casey Lartigue Jr., manager of international relations at the CFE. Speakers at the conference titled “Economic Freedom