Skip to main content

2016-09-21 TNKR orientation for 10-1 session

 


2016-09-21 TNKR National Director Eunkoo Lee led an orientation with refugees to get prepared for our October 1 Language Matching session. We had a nice time--especially when we took photos at the end.

The feedback from the refugees was great:

* When I first started TNKR two years ago, I couldn't communicate with the teachers. I feel much more comfortable now. I need to come back to TNKR because two of my teachers have left Korea.

I had never spoken with native speakers before I joined TNKR. I can see that I have gained confidence, and this will really help when I have an interview for a fellowship opportunity soon. I hope I can find 2 tutors.

* English is very difficult for me. I learned about TNKR from another refugee who is studying in the program now. I'm a senior in college now, I need to start getting prepared for interviews. I lack confidence now to have a discussion or interview in English, so I hope I can improve my confidence and ability.

What I early like about TNKR is that the system is flexible for refugees. I am a little nervous about communicating with tutors in English, I hope they will be patient with me.

* I joined TNKR for a year. It was really difficult at first, and I think I didn't study very hard. I was accepted into a university, I will need to improve my English in order to graduate. I have a lot of free time, so I won't waste this great opportunity provided by TNKR.

I hope I can get 2-3 tutors, I will take it more seriously this time.

* I hope to go abroad as an exchange student, it should be a great experience. My goals are to improve my grammar and speaking. I found out about TNKR from a friend who is studying in the program now. I am really thankful to TNKR because I can see that your main goal is to give opportunities to refugees. It does seem like a challenge because we are expected to also engage in self-study. But that is also a good challenge and makes me realize I need to study hard, not just rely on the teacher.

I hope to get 2 or 3 tutors.

***

Sign up as a tutor! (2016-10-01)

https://www.facebook.com/events/204321419987133/?action_history=null&ref=4

* * *

2021 update: In late 2020, we put the tutoring project on hold. We hope to restart tutoring, you can support the campaign.

https://give.lovetnkr.com/Tutor-NK-refugees







Popular posts from this blog

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube

Still writing (Korea Times, 2023-12-19)

Still writing by Casey Lartigue Jr. The Korea Times December 19, 2023 https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/12/626_365284.html

[Video] "Author Spotlight" by Harvard

On February 2nd from 2-3 a.m. (Korea time), I was the featured speaker at an "Author Spotlight" by the Harvard Division of Continuing Education (DCE) and the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA) .  Watch, like, share, and comment.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmRgP3q7rQg&list=PLn7xtnmarHFq6kVvq3PxOgC8nwjn8ioBO  * * *  I will be in the USA for two weeks in March, I will kick off the trip with a speech on the campus of the Harvard Graduate School of Education (HSGE) for its annual Alumni of Color Conference (AOCC). It will be a bit of a homecoming reunion, I was one of the speakers at the first HGSE AOCC in 2003.  Stay tuned, this will be preparation for a larger event later this year. Thanks to everyone who has helped make FSI's work possible. ( Stripe ) ( PayPal ).

Chosun Monthly magazine [Korean language]

  Chosun Monthly Magazine has made an announcement (in Korean) about the Seoul Honorary Citizenship award that I received on December 9, 2022.  Our Korean staffers say that the magazine is a big deal in South Korea. Here's the overall roundup of media about the award. In the next two months, I have extended interviews coming up in two different magazines, one in the USA and one in South Korea. Both articles will be in respected publications so they should raise awareness of FSI's work that your support makes possible. * * * Support FSI via Stripe or PayPal . https://donate.stripe.com/3cs28F5IAcc85IAaEF or PayPal .

Is the SOTU over?

  Some people asked me if I watched President Biden’s State of the Union. Haha! I have seen enough of them. Not just Biden’s SOTU, but SOTUs by US presidents!  Back in 1999, I not only watched President Clinton’s SOTU, but the Cato Institute gave me the task of keeping track of all of President Clinton’s proposals and promises. Since then I have watched few SOTUs, once as a blogger at the invitation of National Public Radio. https://tinyurl.com/3dv5y452