Skip to main content

2019-12-15 Optimistic Discussion Group

:-)

I had a great time at a discussion group yesterday. One of the members said she was amazed that even though I talk about serious issues, I do so with a smile on my face.

There are three main reasons:


1) I do something about issues that bother me, not just talking talking talking about it.

I am constantly amazed by the number of people who talk about a problem without moving to do a single thing about it, apparently mistaking their words for action.

They can talk about politics, education, social policy, the poverty level, welfare, etc., posting a number of links and articles, eager to pounce on others who disagree with their endless words. Then when you ask what they have done, they get huffy. And if they are young, they will dismiss you with whatever saying young smart-asses enjoy saying these days.

They can talk about minimum wage all day, post links to studies proving their belief, condemn employers who actually risk their own capital to hire businesses employing others--but they would have never hired anyone in a business they started.

From a young age, I loved James Brown's song "Talking loud, saying nothing." My one edit would be that many people are "Talking loud, doing nothing."

2) At a deeper level, I have known since I was a young boy that I would die one day. It was terrifying but also liberating. I won't live forever, but from some unknown day, I will be dead forever. Yes, there could be a heaven, to which I would proudly celebrate with a dance lasting for an eternity: "Bonus time, baby!!!"

As an adult, that has meant I don't take things seriously, especially when it comes to people's ideology, theories and chit-chat that make me feel like I'm talking with college sophomores, but I do have fun doing what I enjoy. As has been attributed to Emma Goldman: "If I can't dance, then I don't want to join your revolution."

***

When I heard about the book "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck," my response was, "Damn, I could have written that." Well, maybe not, because I probably wouldn't have finished it, thinking that readers wouldn't give a damn, either.

***

There are so many jacket-pullers in this world discouraging people from having fun. I have never taken a selfie by myself but will join others when they ask--I am still amazed by people complaining about other people taking selfies. Some whiners complain about other people allegedly taking too many photos. Some other whiners complain that others post about their lives too often, that others are show-offs, that people are engaged in self-promotion. A few years ago I even heard someone complaining about something called a "humble brag."

As H.L. Mencken said: "Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be having a good time."

I am having fun doing what I enjoy, and I have fun talking about it. It is amazing that I can work a 14 hour day, have endless meetings, endless planning, speeches, events, answering messages and questions from reporters--if I take a few minutes to post a few photos or comments then I have people complaining (to each other).

Indeed, there are too many jacket-pullers in the world, trying to slow others down, telling them to stop having fun. If you don't like that I like that I said, please block yourselves, or let me know so I can block you wherever possible.

***

I participate in a couple of discussion groups, it is fun to get away from my serious work to just chit-chat. Well, I try. Of course I often end up talking about TNKR, and encouraging people to do something, rather than just talking. It didn't have to be my cause, but why not do something about all of the things we talk about?

Yesterday I hosted a discussion group hosted by Van Hur. The discussion was, again, so lovely, fun, and even when there was disagreement, it was in good fun.

One member even identified an apparent contradiction about me: I am talking about serious issues, with a smile on my face. As I explained: "I am doing something about it." When I talk about issues, I am not talking about the way things ought to be--I am talking about what I am doing, what has been done, how others can get involved. Even if they don't like my cause, they can go beyond just talking about issues they care about. Some people think they can tweet their way to freedom or improvements in the world. People can certainly be inspired by words, but the real work to make change comes later.

Apparently I am not supposed to smile about it. A few years ago I joined a protest, holding a protest sign. People on Social Media were saying I shouldn't be smiling. I mean, I was out in the street, and the critics were typing from their basements or offices. I invited them to join me, to come frown as they wish, but to do something rather than analyzing.

I am still behind the times of the emoji generation. On Social Media, people post the appropriate emoji to show their happiness or sadness. It took me a while to understand that I need to put emojis to show my feeling. I might have actually DONE something, but lacking an emoji, people might get the wrong idea.

:-)

***

The third reason I can talk about serious issues and engage in serious activities while having fun? I work directly with people who appreciate what I am doing. Every week, I have North Korean refugees telling me how much they appreciate TNKR and what I am doing. Those who can't tell me in English will tell Eunkoo or others. I have been called Pretty Flower Man, had North Korean refugees and others hail me as a hero, North Korean refugee author Yeonmi Park says that I changed her life.

There aren't a lot of people in the world who get thanked for what they do. There are some people who deal with others who are constantly criticizing them, angry and disgruntled along with them, or they only hear from people when the people want to complain.

Why not enjoy even this serious work I am doing when I receive such praise and words of affirmation?

:-)






Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

Earth Hour 2013 Man of the Year!!!

In case you missed it, last night was Earth Hour. That's when people around the world turn off their lights for one hour to show concern for the Earth. The idea originated from the World Wildlife Fund. Bouncing off Don Boudreaux, I would like to announce that Kim Jong-Un is the Earth Hour 2013 Man of the Year. Kim Jong-Un, Earth Hour's 2013 Man of the Year I won't read through his resume and accomplishments to make my case, I will point out this satellite photo showing the difference between the two Koreas. North Korea, where every day is "Earth Hour." Not only is the dashing young dictator's regime focused on keeping North Koreans in the dark more than just one hour a year, but he is now leading a government that is threatening to blow up other countries for various reasons. He has ordered his military to strike with "lightening speed"--apparently confusing lightening speed with lightening, and thinking that lightening can bring ligh

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

2019-06-29 Another Special Saturday

"When are you going to wrap this up?" That's what a whippersnapper asked me near the end of Q&A yesterday, after I had given a speech to North Korean refugee adolescents and their mentors. Thanks to Prof. Shin Hye-young for arranging the session. I'm a man with a lot of self-esteem, but it was tested on Saturday by those kids (more photos below) www.lovetnkr.org/donate

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h