Skip to main content

2015-07-12 "I have a right to choose"

2020 comment: When Eunkoo Lee and I first started TNKR in 2013, the idea of refugees getting to choose was still fresh. It was so fresh that even the co-founders had to fight about it!


By 2015 July, when the orientation session below was held, we were starting to become known for refugees having choice. At the orientation session below, the refugees made it clear how much they enjoyed having the right to choose and how unusual it was for them in their lives!


Around the time of this 2015 session, we also were struggling with establishing TNKR. We didn't have an office, we were moving between two different locations so people who didn't pay close attention to emails would end up (a) getting lost (b) going to the wrong place (c) not showing up at all or (d) doing all of the above, then showing up really late!


Another challenge was holding a separate orientation session. In the early going, we would squeeze the orientation and Matching session into one 2 hour session. That was in the early days when:


* we didn't have many rules. Now we have a 20 page Track 1 Guide written by Volunteer Advisor Daniel Cashmar.


* We knew there were playboys and socializers targeting our program, and also that there were refugees who saw it as a dating opportunity. We had to stamp that out, mainly with monitoring and higher expectations.


* Without controls, TNKR would not be anything special, just another program where refugees and tutors/teachers get put together.


So we began making changes, taking more time to talk to refugees to understand how we could develop TNKR. TNKR still wasn't an official organization, but we were preparing for the day that we would be. That meant, we needed to have a strong organization, needed to start raising money (that was and still is controversial with the People of the Internet who want things for free), and we needed for the focus to be on studying rather than socializing.


Eunkoo and I both quit our jobs within the next 18 months, determined to make TNKR into a solid organization. Even now, people ask me about the "big" and "long-term" vision of TNKR. I still say the same thing. To create learner-centered study opportunities that empower North Korean refugees to make their own choices. People are still looking for me to teach something in particular, such as about democracy, capitalism, reunification, or (fill-in-the-blank). 


Grant-writers and marketers who come to us will tell us we are doing something great, but then will make suggestions that amount to, "Great job, but now, do something else so you can attract funding." 


Our challenge has been to attract enough grassroots support for the wonderful program we have already created.

www.lovetnkr.org/donate



Original 2015 post: Teach North Korean Refugees launched in March 2013. We designed the project so that refugees have the power to choose as many tutors as possible. We started that almost from the beginning, but it has taken time for the program's design to resonate with refugees. 


Now, as they come to us, they are telling us that the thing they like about the project is that they get to choose. Two or three of the refugees said it clearly: "Thanks for the opportunity. I have the right to choose what I want." Another refugee who contacted me a few months ago said yesterday that "I have a right to choose."


I never studied any of the other programs, but based on feedback from refugees, they don't get to choose among tutors or teachers, and in other programs, they aren't set up to be the ones with the power to choose the direction of their study or the process of improvement.


They have been waiting from 6 weeks to 3 months to get into our program. I could see yesterday that they are really eager.


Okay, so that's the plan: To have a learner-centered project so that the beneficiaries are in control.


But it wouldn't be possible without the tutors. They give so much of their time to the refugees. Many of them hate going through the selection process. Several have given us feedback that they are worried they won't be chosen (of the 260+ tutors who have come to us, there are only 2 who haven't gotten chosen). But then, other tutors have stated that they appreciated the process because they knew that they had been chosen.


* * *


My plan has been to have separate orientation sessions for tutors and refugees. But as usual, it doesn't work out according to my plan. Three tutors got lost, there were two who canceled yesterday morning, and I think two or three more no-shows. I had a few on the waiting list, luckily some of them showed up. We now have 12 tutors signed up, but I will be having another orientation for some who were late or couldn't make it yesterday. That's in addition to have an orientation on Friday with a returning tutor.


Once we can finalize the tutors, we will share the resumes of the tutors with the refugees, then they can start planning for the Matching session on 7/18.


We have now had more than 160 refugees and 260 volunteers to come through the project. This Saturday, we will have about 8 refugees and 12 volunteer tutors at our 32nd language Matching session. .


2015/7/18 Matching session
https://www.facebook.com/events/1460248650951943/


TNKR
https://www.facebook.com/groups/451294051613839/









Popular posts from this blog

Eunkoo Lee: TNKR's #1 Settler

If I could convince TNKR co-founder Eunkoo Lee that we needed to start executing volunteers, then she would quickly come up with a schedule with their names and execution times. She would do it fairly and orderly, accepting no exceptions or changes. If I suggested a change, then an argument would start about me being "Mr. Changeable" interrupting the schedule. That is how I have worked with Eunkoo Lee over the past seven years. She must be convinced, but once she believes in something, she charges ahead. What she is NOT interested in is public relations or dealing with media. I say this to people, but they don't believe me. But like the minister said after witnessing a baptism, "Not only do I believe in baptism, but I've seen it done!" * * * It has happened again! Someone noticed that my bio is much longer than Eunkoo's. I have heard a number of gripes from people over the years, ranging from Eunkoo should be featured more to I should step aside

North Korean defector seeks justice (Korea Times)

  It was international news when 12 North Korean waitresses and a male manager who worked at a restaurant operated by the North Korean regime in China arrived in South Korea in 2016.  The waitresses have mostly maintained a low profile. There have been numerous accusations and assertions, with some saying the waitresses didn't want to escape, some accused the Park Geun-hye administration of playing politics by releasing details of the case, etc., etc., etc. My blog at the Korea Times today features an exclusive interview with one of the former North Korean waitresses who filed a criminal case against the former manager. You can read about it here on the Korea Times website. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/opinion/2023/02/728_345165.html   Keep in mind that there are many more facts to the case and that it is much deeper than this brief excerpt of her comments. She also shared legal documents that I shared with the Korea Times well in advance to give them time to review the case. *

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi

Earth Hour 2013 Man of the Year!!!

In case you missed it, last night was Earth Hour. That's when people around the world turn off their lights for one hour to show concern for the Earth. The idea originated from the World Wildlife Fund. Bouncing off Don Boudreaux, I would like to announce that Kim Jong-Un is the Earth Hour 2013 Man of the Year. Kim Jong-Un, Earth Hour's 2013 Man of the Year I won't read through his resume and accomplishments to make my case, I will point out this satellite photo showing the difference between the two Koreas. North Korea, where every day is "Earth Hour." Not only is the dashing young dictator's regime focused on keeping North Koreans in the dark more than just one hour a year, but he is now leading a government that is threatening to blow up other countries for various reasons. He has ordered his military to strike with "lightening speed"--apparently confusing lightening speed with lightening, and thinking that lightening can bring ligh

2020-05-21 Goodbye, Katty Chi

I had heard through the grapevine and now it has been verified: Human rights activist Katty Chi has passed away. She is one of the first people that I met when I got involved in this cause. The first time was in 2012, at an event at the South Korea's National Assembly. She was super cool, one of my favorites as I used to say even when she was alive. And that is the important time to say such things, when people are alive. Whenever we met, I would say to her, "You know what happens when you meet me?" She would say, "Yeah. Time to take a photo?" I'm glad we did. And from Hyun S. Song, a close colleague of hers: And from Liberty in North Korea, the definitive announcement, August 4, 2020