Skip to main content

2020-10-19 Breaking News: TNKR is busy busy busy!



 Last week was a busy time, many meetings both in-person and online. In this blog post:
  • Partnerships
  • Interviews
  • Volunteers
  • Speech

______________________________________________

1) Partnerships


New TNKR board member

This is significant, a former Supreme Court justice has agreed to serve on TNKR's board of directors. This is important, it shows how TNKR has become a more mature organization. During 2021, we hope to develop more partnerships with organizations and individuals who can help raise TNKR's profile and impact.



Meeting with a huge organization

They have a huge building and many projects going on. They could fit all of TNKR in a corner and not even notice. Even our budget could disappear into their budget without them noticing until an auditor pointed it out.

Despite that, they would like to partner with us. This is another sign of TNKR's maturity as an organization. Years ago, we would not have dared to meet with them, we were a fly-by-night group with no apparent path to success.


The Korea Times

Our connection with the Korea Times newspaper continues to grow. 
  • They have been a sponsor of several of TNKR's English speech contests.
  • I have both a column and blog at the Korea Times. According to one of the editors, my blog is quite popular and my editor gripes at me for not sending in my column often enough (supposedly some readers follow me).

meeting with Oh Young-jin, president and publisher of the Korea Times.


my latest Korea Times blog post was the number one article all weekend long.



On Tuesday, I taught six hours of public speaking and discussion at a graduate school with the Korea Times newspaper as the main resource. Yes, I encouraged social distancing, but they bunched up anyway.





Foundation book donation

A foundation contacted us recently: "Could we donate some books to you?" In fact, they were quite specific: 223 books.

13 boxes arrived today, 4 should arrive tomorrow. We recently had books donated by TNKR Fan Club Vice-President Shannon Smith. That means we will be having another TNKR book sale for North Korean refugees.



Harvard Club of Korea

I joined the Happy Hour the club had on Wednesday. So far, Harvard Club of Korea members have donated more than $3,000 to TNKR.

The meeting was on a rooftop with bad lighting so none of the photos were posted, I am posting this photo from last year before the virus started destroying the world.


2019 Harvard Club of Korea Happy Hour photo

______________________________________________

2) INTERVIEWS

International reporter

She is working on a long article about North Korea and North Korean refugees, she dropped by the TNKR office to interview me. When I meet reporters, I expect them to go down the beaten path, but I did say a few things that got the interview off that beaten path.



South Korean blogger

She stopped by to interview me, I think we talked for almost three hours. It was a lot of fun, one of the more enjoyable interviews I have had. She says she will be setting up a fundraiser for TNKR.



Organization intern

An intern with a large organization dropped by to talk about various issues related to North Korean refugees. This one could also be filed under partnerships. 

She wrote about it in Instagram.

These days, when people ask me questions, I give unfiltered answers. It is good when people really want to hear the answers, rather than validation of what they believe or are already doing.


______________________________________________


3) VOLUNTEERS


Where have you been all of my TNKR life?

Usually when I meet with people who say they want to support TNKR, there is still the moment when they ask, "So when do I meet the refugees?" In my meeting with this American volunteer joining TNKR, that moment never came. She remain focused on how she could help build up TNKR.

It shouldn't be surprising that she already has experience in the non-profit world, so she knows that limited funds means less impact. That doesn't mean only money gets things done, but that having money means more possibilities.

Of course, we make opportunities for volunteers to meet refugees, that naturally happens with people who hang around us or get deeply involved. With our name, of course people expect to teach North Korean refugees. But not everyone at KFC kills or cooks chickens. 

When a volunteer remains focused on building the organization? That's like a man-bites-dog story, it is so unexpected. 

I asked her: "Where have you been all of my TNKR life?"



Office volunteer

This young lady set up a fundraiser for TNKR even before we ever met her, raising 500,000 won (about $400)! She will be going to college soon, and would like to volunteer with TNKR. She will be visiting the office once a week to help with miscellaneous office tasks.




Hello again!

It is always great when former TNKR volunteers visit the office. Taylor was a really active volunteer in 2017, even leading an event selling items at a Korean flea market.


______________________________________________

4) SPEECH
 
"Do black lives matter in Korea?"

Probably the highlight of the week for me was being a featured speaker at the University of Utah (Asia Campus). It started with me organizing and speaking at an off-the-record forum in June. One of the attendees then invited me to speak at her university.

You can check for photos and more information here.








Popular posts from this blog

2014-02-14 Yeon-Mi Park`s debut

Yeonmi Park, February 14, 2014, making her debut! Yesterday I was one of the speakers at a special session on North Korean refugees at the Canadian Maple International School. Wow, it was a wonderful time! * Yeon-Mi Park delivered her first major speech in English. She was wonderful! She told her story (35 minute speech without notes), discussed different aspects of North Korea, and then handled questions from students for more than an hour. She did seem to be nervous at the beginning-she took a deep breath just as she started, looked at me, then told her story from her heart. * Returning from the speech, I told Yeonmi that she had star potential. She told me that she didn't believe it, but I told her that the way she handled Q&A and told her story, I would be lucky to have her still returning my phone calls within a year. * The students had many questions. They have been learning about North Korea. They are now reading "Escape from Camp 14" featuring Shin Dong-h

Helping North Koreans 'strike the blow' (Korea Times)

H ave you ever engaged in action not because you were sure it would change the world, but to satisfy your own heart? That, I emailed to an American friend, is why I have joined the effort to help North Koreans who are trying to escape from their homeland. I can’t change the direction of policy in North Korea or China but I can row the boat I am sitting in rather than lamenting that I can’t steer the yachts somewhere else. So I have tried to do what I can: Attending protests in front of the Chinese embassy in Seoul (and I plan to do so when I visit America in April); donating money to the Citizens’ Alliance for North Korean Human Rights ( www.nkhumanrights.or.kr ); educating myself, writing articles and emailing friends; and, as a member of the board of trustees, I recently submitted a resolution to the Frederick Douglass Memorial and Historical Association (FDMHA) in Washington, D.C., to try to call attention to the plight of North Koreans. Our organization’s missi

Government causing problems: Caffe Bene

According to the Korea Herald : Caffe Bene, the nation’s largest coffee shop franchise, has started cutting jobs and executive salaries, blaming regulations against expansion of its bakery and restaurant chains. Then a funny thing happened on the way to a seemingly bland story: There was actual talk about the Korean government playing a role in damaging Caffe Bene's business. Not just a throwaway line or a final comment at the end of the article, but actually tying the business's problems to the Korean government's policy. Caffe Bene took over bakery chain Mainz Dom in December despite the National Commission for Corporate Partnership’s advice to reconsider the acquisition as the panel was discussing restricting bakery franchises. The state-funded commission last month designated bakeries and restaurants as “SME-only” businesses, barring franchises to keep from opening too many stores or within 500 meters from small bakeries. Large companies in the dinin

2020-05-21 Goodbye, Katty Chi

I had heard through the grapevine and now it has been verified: Human rights activist Katty Chi has passed away. She is one of the first people that I met when I got involved in this cause. The first time was in 2012, at an event at the South Korea's National Assembly. She was super cool, one of my favorites as I used to say even when she was alive. And that is the important time to say such things, when people are alive. Whenever we met, I would say to her, "You know what happens when you meet me?" She would say, "Yeah. Time to take a photo?" I'm glad we did. And from Hyun S. Song, a close colleague of hers: And from Liberty in North Korea, the definitive announcement, August 4, 2020

Park Jin welcoming remarks to FSI (and Casey Lartigue)

  National Assembly member Park Jin makes the welcoming remarks at FSI's conference featuring North Korean diplomats. Park Jin | Greeting message to FSI and Casey Lartigue mention - YouTube